Tuesday, March 24, 2009

USA Sevens Rugby Tournament at PETCO Park

The USA Sevens Rugby Tournament was here last month and I got the chance to cover it for the San Diego Community News Group.

There were a huge number of photographers there that ran the gamut from full time pros to weekend warriors and worse. I saw quite a few pros that I've met before; Denis Poroy (AP), Donald Miralle (Getty), Sam Hodgson (Voice of San Diego) and Crissy Pascal (Union Tribune). There were a few well known freelancers like Robert Benson - who seemed to be shooting a personal project - and a whole smattering of guys working for smaller publications like the SDCNG that I was shooting for.

There were more than a few other shooters there who didn't seem to be serious at all though. They had minimal equipment, not suitable for the job - one body with a package lens, no long glass or monopod. That's not a problem - everyone's got to start somewhere. But there were many of them who spent most of their time talking, texting and cheering the action on the field. I guess someone was doling out press passes to their buddies...

It was comical but at times it was pretty distracting and annoying too. I had a bit of a weird situation when I returned to my spot in the Press Room to find a bunch of guys with no photo gear or computers sitting at my desk drinking cocktails and watching the action on the field. They were a bit put out (to say the least) when I asked them to move so that I could get into my stuff. 

I hate to sound like a whiner or a dick, (especially as I am a rookie in this job and I do my fair share of whining and dickery too), but there you go. If you're not working and I am, stay out of the way please.

Here's my pick of the images from that day:


No comments:

Post a Comment